If you plan to be a bodyguard, these occupations can teach you some of the basic skills you need, such as first aid, self-defense, defensive driving, and situational awareness. Alternatively, you can take classes or obtain certification through ASIS International. For personal security, you want to obtain the Physical Security Professional certification, which requires you to pass a written and practical exam.
Sign up to receive the latest information about our company and career opportunities. We offer a comprehensive benefits program that goes well beyond Medical and Dental coverage. Discover some of the reasons why our employees choose to build their careers here. Matt Whittle is a freelance writer and editor who holds a BA in English from Penn State University. Before shifting to education-related content, he worked in the wine industry, editing tasting notes and reviews.
Job Outlook and Salary for Computer Security Specialists
CSIA focuses on intelligence issues related to cybersecurity, military, and space. CyberDegrees.org is committed to delivering content that is objective and actionable. To that end, we have built a network of industry professionals across higher education to review our content and ensure we are providing the most helpful information to our readers. Also, if you how to become a security specialist opt out of online behavioral advertising, you may still see ads when you sign in to your account, for example through Online Banking or MyMerrill. We strive to provide you with information about products and services you might find interesting and useful. If you are ready to learn more about our programs, get started by downloading our program guide now.
- With the number of online attacks increasing, companies large and small are concerned about cybersecurity, hacking and network vulnerability.
- As you move along in your career, you may start taking on more responsibilities or notice that you’ve taken on a leadership role.
- Security specialists will also use a range of tools to assess the level of security in an organization’s computer and network systems.
- CSIA focuses on intelligence issues related to cybersecurity, military, and space.
- According to Payscale, security specialists with 10 or more years of experience earned an average annual salary of $98,389 as of September 2021.
- If you are part of an existing IT team, make sure you’re aware of the internal recruitment process and any openings for security specialist roles.
It’s a good idea to let your employer know about your plans to study, as they might be willing to help with the funding. After all, the knowledge and skills you gain will benefit your career and, in turn, the organization. With this Security Specialist https://remotemode.net/ job description sample, you can get a good idea of what employers are looking for when hiring for this position. Remember, every employer is different and each will have unique qualifications when they hire for a Security Specialist role.
Required Education for Security Specialists
As mentioned in the list of daily responsibilities, you might be expected to carry out penetration testing. Software that can assist you in this task includes Kali Linux, nmap, Metasploit, Wireshark, and John the Ripper. All of these will help you to identify weaknesses in a system, ideally before a cyber criminal finds them.